The beauty of the Split Mung Bean Pudding is in its simplicity. Split Mung Bean is a very pliable lentil which cooks fast and isn't burdened by an overwhelming flavour. The gentle flavour combines well with coconut milk and makes for a memorable pudding!
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 25 mins
1 cup Split Mung Dal
2 cup Coconut Milk
1/2 cup Jaggery
1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
1/2 tsp Almonds
1/2 tsp Cashew Nuts
- Dry roast the lentils until you can sense their aroma.
- Cook the roasted lentils in water until they turn soft and mashable.
- Turn the heat down and gently stir in the coconut milk.
- Cook for two minutes on slow heat for the coconut milk and lentils to blend well and then switch off the heat.
- Add the jaggery to a bowl, and using a small quantity of water, melt it over a low flame.
- Once melted, let the jaggery syrup cool to room temperature before adding to the lentil mixture.
- Cook again on very low heat for just two minutes, until the pudding seems well blended. Add more coconut milk if you need a thinner consistency. (Do not cook overlong or the pudding could curdle.)
- Garnish with roasted nuts and cardamom powder, and serve warm or cold as per preference.