For this luxurious fruit dessert, plantains are caramelised and flavoured after cooking in a sugar and cardamom powder. Coconut oil adds a distinctive Indian flavour and improves the overall richness of the dish.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 10 mins
2 pounds Ripe Plantains
1 tbsp Sugar
5 Whole Cardamom Pods
2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Prep the plantains by washing, skinning and slicing them lengthwise into finger-sized pieces.
- Dehusk the green cardamom and finely powder the tiny green pearls inside.
- Mix the powdered cardamom seeds with sugar to prepare the sugar cardamom mixture.
- In a skillet, heat coconut oil on low. Gently arrange the plantain pieces in the skillet alongside each other. The thicker ones are better placed in the centre of the skillet.
- On medium heat, cook the plantain pieces on each side for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Once brown, toss the sugar mixture over the upper side of the plantains. Turn them over and cook for 1 minute until the sugar forms a thin crust.
- Flip the plantains, sprinkle the remaining sugar and cook for one more minute.
- Once the plantain pieces are evenly brown, remove them from the heat and serve.
- Vegan ice cream is a good choice with this dessert.