Ahaa Silver Pomfret is available in the markets of the United Kingdom, especially at Red Rickshaw. But what exactly is a Pomfret Fish, especially in the UK? It is a fish with a sweet and rich flavour and light texture.
Bengali Pomfret Curry
- 4 pomfret
- 1 roughly chopped medium onion
- 1 roughly chopped medium tomato
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3-4 green chilis
- ½ tsp nigella seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- ½ cumin powder
- ½ tsp sugar or any preferred sweetener
- 3-4 tbsp mustard oil, or any preferred one
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Marinate the fish with salt a ½ tsp of turmeric powder. Keep it aside for the meantime.
- Make a coarse paste of onion, tomato, and garlic. Keep it aside.
- Put 2 tbsp of oil in a pan over medium heat. Then, when already hot, add the fish.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Strain and take it off of the heat. Then, set aside.
- Add the oil to the same pan and taste with nigella seeds and slit green chilis.
- When they start to splatter, add the onion-tomato paste and saute over medium heat. Stir for 4-5 minutes until the water is evaporated and the oil is now seeping through the masala.
- Add the turmeric powder, cumin powder, chilli powder, and salt in it along with 2 tbsp of water. Mix it well.
- Continue cooking over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until you see the oil seeping through the masala.
- Add 1 cup of water and boil. Let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the fish onto that pan. Slowly slip it in along with some coriander leaves.
- Simmer for another 3-4 minutes.
- When done, take it out and place it on a plate or whatever you choose.
- Then, sprinkle with some fresh coriander leaves.