Idli or idly is India’s very own take on the world-famous rice cake. It is a popular breakfast element, even in Asian countries. The idli rice is the specific rice variety that is used to make delicious Indian rice cakes. Idli rice is short grain; it is the complete opposite of the fragrant and savoury basmati rice which is also a staple food in India. It is also parboiled rice, which means that it is partly cooked by boiling, unlike the basmati rice which is not parboiled.
Depending on your idli recipe, idli rice may be a staple breakfast food. However, it is also great for snacks. The idli rice cakes are made traditionally by steaming the idli rice integrated with fermented black lentils (urad dal) and are usually served hot.
Idli rice cakes are soft puffs of rice known to be completely light and pumped with nutrients that are essential for our health.
If you haven’t tried this amazing Indian food, now might be your chance to do so. One of the most reputable brands of idli rice is just one click away. Thanks to Red Rickshaw, you can now order Heera Idli Rice (2KG) and have it delivered to your doorstep today. We have rounded up some easy-to-prepare idli recipes for you to prepare at home. But before we get to that, here are several facts and information about idli rice.
A single regular-sized Idli rice cake contains:
- Energy: 42 Cal (2% of DV)
- Protein: 1.7 grams (3% of DV)
- Carbohydrates: 8.3 grams (3% of DV)
- Fibre: 0.6 grams (2% of DV)
- Fat: 0.3 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 mg.
Vitamin A, Vitamin B-3 (Niacin), Vitamin B-9 (Folic Acid)
Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Sodium, Potassium, and Zinc
Health Benefits of Heera Idli Rice
- It can be easily processed and broken down by your digestive system.
- It is normally prepared with other nutritious vegetables.
- If it is combined with citrus juices, the result will be a powerful agent that prevents your body from accumulating excessive rice carbohydrate deposits in your body.
- It has no saturated fat and this is very important to keep your heart healthy.
- Its low sodium content ensures that the water in your body is neutralized. This will also give you a great balance if the other foods that you’re eating are high in sodium.
- It is considered to be great weight-loss food.
How to make a delicious rice cake with Heera Idli Rice?
What you need (Ingredients):
- 3 cups of Heera Idli Rice
- 1 cup urad dal, split and husked (you can also use fermented dal)
- 2 teaspoon of salt
What to do (Procedure):
- Soak the Heera Idli Rice and dal in water, on separate bowls for 5 to 6 hours.
- Grind the dal until you achieve a rich and smooth paste.
- Grind the soaked Heera Idli Rice until you achieve a fine sand texture (grainy).
- Combine the Heera Idli Rice and dal, season with salt.
- Add water gradually and stir well. You can add a little more until you achieve a dropping consistency.
- Cover the bowl with a lid or clean cloth and allow your batter to ferment overnight.
- Using an idli steamer, steam the batter and serve hot. Enjoy!
**Idli rice cakes go well with hummus, guacamole, spreads and radishes, tuna salad, etc.