Sev is an exciting Indian snack made up of extremely fine noodles delicately spiced with turmeric powder. It is a tasty and crunchy snack that you can eat on its own or use in a dish as a garnish for added texture. You can also add it to your cup of tea or to your Lentils, Pulses, and Nuts to make Bombay mix as your Sev recipes.
Shree Krishna Foods provides its consumers with the best range of Nylon Sev, Special Sev, and Boondi products.
What is Sev?
Sev is basically a type of fried noodles made from gram flour and then shaped with a machine called Seviya. The dough is placed in a container with a fine hole and then pressed into hot oil where the dough is fried into crispy noodles. Sev can be found in almost any Indian grocery store, and it can also be made at home.
There are many types of Sev-- thick Sev, thin Sev, and the Nylon Sev. The Nylon Sev is the thinnest variety among them and is usually seasoned with turmeric and other spices. It is made through very fine moulds for each strand. This is commonly used as a garnish for Chaat dishes to add a crunchy texture.
The classic Sev recipe contains:
- Gram flour (Gluten-free and 100% made from chickpeas)
- Edible starch
- Turmeric powder
- May contain traces of nuts and raisins
When you think of a classic Mumbai street food, Nylon Sev usually comes into mind. Sev Poori is a staple in the streets of Mumbai and is traditionally served as a garnish for Puris or Papdis along with potatoes and chutneys. Making Sev Poori at home doesn’t have to hard with this easy Nylon Sev recipe you can follow below:
Classic Sev Puri
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 plates
Ingredients you will need:
- ¾ cup KRISHNA NYLON SEV
- ½ cup boil potato cubes
- 24 pieces of Papdis
- Chaat Masala for garnish
- 24 tsp of Khajur Imli Ki Chutney
- 12 tsp of green Chutney
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp of finely chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp of chopped raw mangoes
- 12 tsp of fresh garlic Chutney
How to prepare your Homemade Sev Puri
- Arrange 6 pieces of papdis on a serving plate. Top each one of them with a few slices of potato cubes. Add in little bits of onions and Chaat Masala on top.
- Add about 1 tsp of Khajur Imli Ki Chutney, ½ tsp of green Chutney, and 1/1 tsp of the garlic Chutney.
- Squeeze 1/1 tsp of lemon juice and ½ cup of Nylon Sev on top of each Papdi.
- Garnish it with the raw mangoes and about 1 tbsp of chopped coriander.
- Repeat the steps 1-4 to make 3 more batches of Sev Puri.
- Serve your homemade Sev Puri immediately.
This product is not available to be shipped internationally.