Onions are one of the commonly used ingredients in recipes. The Bombay onion has a red/purple colour. This onion produces a unique aroma when cooked, hence changing the taste of food.
Like other vegetables, the Bombay onion is rich in nutrients that benefit the body in different ways. These nutrients range from minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants, among others.
These onions can also go for a long time when placed in a cool environment.
The Health Benefits of Bombay Onions
Numerous recipes have Bombay onions as one of the ingredients because of the health benefits. Below are examples:
- Chromium is one of the compounds found in this onion that helps control the blood sugar levels in diabetic people. Sulfur and quercetin are other compounds that help control blood sugar levels.
- This root vegetable has antibacterial properties that eliminate dangerous bacteria.
- Regular intake of Red Indian onion soup supports the development of strong bones.
- This onion contains antioxidants that lower the risks of specific types of cancer. Flavonoids, quercetin, and fisetin are examples of antioxidants.
- Raw red onion lowers the cholesterol levels in the body. This improves the heart's health.
- Folate found in Bombay onion improves the sleeping pattern of an individual. This compound also helps deal with depression.
- Onion is a good source of Vitamin C that improves the health of hair and the skin.
Bombay Onion Recipe Suggestions
There are different Bombay onion recipe suggestions to consider. This is because onion is one of the main ingredients in most meals. Some recipe suggestions include:
Onion Bhaji Recipe
Turmeric, Bombay onions, Plain flour, Garam masala, Fresh ground black pepper, and yoghurt are the main ingredients.
How to prepare
- Pour the plain flour into a bowl before adding salt and spices to the flour.
- Add water to the mixture to form a stiff batter.
- Afterwards, cut a Red Indian onion and stir to the batter.
- Heat some oil inside the deep frying pan. Add spoonfuls of the onion mixture at intervals.
- Turn the Bhaji over before removing it from the pan.
- This recipe is best served with Raita.
Bombay Potatoes Recipe
Bombay potato recipe's main ingredients are black mustard seeds, red onion, curry paste, turmeric, and potatoes.
How to prepare
- Boil potatoes with turmeric for golden brown colour.
- Form a mixture with black mustard seeds, curry paste, red onion, and oil.
- Add the potatoes to the mix and properly stir.
- Place the potatoes in the oven for thirty minutes.
Spring Onion Bombay Chutney Recipe
Cumin seeds, Bombay onion, lime juice, garlic, red chilli pieces, green chillies, coriander powder, chickpea flour, tomatoes, salt, curry leaves, and curd are the ingredients for this recipe.
How to prepare
- Fry some chopped garlic, cumin seeds and red chilli pieces until the garlic turns brown.
- Add the sliced Bombay onion to the pan. Stir before adding green chillies, curry leaves, turmeric powder, tomatoes, and coriander powder. Ensure the tomatoes are soft.
- Mix chickpea flour and curd to attain a thick paste. Add the paste to the mixture on the pan.
- Afterwards, add red onion, garam masala and lime juice to the mixture and cook for two minutes before serving.
This product is not available to be shipped internationally.