Urad dal is a healthy combination of proteins, nutrients and minerals and fibre. Nonetheless, do take note that it is hard to process. At whatever point you cook, we need to add flavoured spices like cumin seeds, asafoetida (Hing), fennel seeds, ginger, and so forth to urad dal to make its processing simpler.
Urad dal is additionally broadly used in Indian culinary arrangements. Dark Urad gram is one of the main ingredients of idli and dosa players in south India.
In Bengal, it is used in making biulir dal. Urad dal is one of the major components of Dal makhani that rules in food preferences in the Punjab side.
Apart from this, Urad dal has a lot of health benefits.
Features And Health Benefits
Urid dal is highly great for the body. It has a lot of health benefits. Let's discuss some of them.
- It helps in keeping diabetes away as it has an exceptional ability to regulate the glucose levels in the body. And there are no such issues even if diabetic patients also consume this Urad dal.
- It helps in maintaining bone health. People having osteoporosis should have Urad dal. Its composition of Calcium, iron and Vitamin B helps in getting a good bone mineral density.
- Apart from bones, it has a notable feature that helps in maintaining the cardiovascular system. It helps in maintaining the health of the heart by boosting blood circulation.
- Not only the heart, but it also maintains the kidneys health. It is diuretic in nature and maintains proper urination. This prevents chances of kidney stones.
- It strengthens our nervous system. It improves and develops cognitive function.
How To Cook
Given below is the procedure for cooking TRS Urid Black dal for consumption.
- Urad dal
- Cayenne or paprika
- Ginger Root
- Vegetable oil
- Kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves), optional
- Cook or pressing cook the dal alongside the ginger, cayenne or paprika and turmeric until delicate and soft.
- On the off chance that you need a velvety dal, then make a puree and add it too thick dal. Do it till the consistency reaches your desired level.
- Take a saucepan, put it on the flame and heat some oil on it.
- Add garlic and stir till it seems golden, then add some tomatoes and make a puree. Cook until it darkens for 5 minutes, approx.
- Now add the urad dal and garam masala(as per your taste) and kasoori methi after pounding it with your hand. Stir the mixture for blending.
- Still, if you find dal thick, then you can add some water or vegetable stock to smoothen it. Boil the dal and let it cook for around 10 minutes.
- Mix salt as per your taste, and you can add vegan butter if you wish and coriander leaves for flavour and aroma.
- Your dal is ready for eating, and you can serve it with roti or rice.
Let's have a quick peek at the delicious Urad Moong Dal Vada Recipe.
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seed, i.e. jeera
- ½ teaspoon crushed peppercorns (optional)
- One tablespoon curry leaves
- One tablespoon dhania leaves finely chopped.
- Salt as per your taste preference
- water as per your requirements
- 1tablespoon of Rava, suji
- Soak dal for a night or for six hours to make a consistent and acceptable batter.
- We need to grind dal, so drain its water and add dal to a grinder with ginger, asafoetida, and green chilli.
- Put a tiny amount of water in along with dal so that it can grind quickly.
- We need to keep the batter thick, fluffy and smooth.
- Now we will add the spices as mentioned above to the ingredients list like some spices like salt, crushed peppercorns, cumin seeds, coriander leaves and curry leaves into the batter.
- Now we should add Rava in the batter.
- Now Take a frying pan and add oil to it. Let it heat, and once it is hot, add a spoonful of better.
- Fey these vadas till they turn golden- brown and have a crisp coating.
- Now pick out these hot vadas with a spoon's help and immediately put these Urad dal vadas on a paper tissue or napkin.
- Now, these vadas are ready to eat. So serve them with some green chutney or coconut chutney.