Indian Broad Beans are one of the oldest vegetables in the world. It’s recognised with several names worldwide, such as Vicia faba, horse bean, English bean, fava bean, bell bean, tic bean, and many more. The Indian broad beans are one of the healthiest beans that increase vitality.
While you are buying Indian broad beans, examine the pods. If pods are big and healthier, then that bean enhances the taste and is best for cooking. Make sure you avoid the tender and small beans.
These beans are best known for their enormous health benefits, from reducing weight to boosting immunity. Here are a few nutritional facts of the one cup of beans offered at the Red Rickshaw.
- Calories: 187
- Fibre: 9 gm
- Proteins: 13 gm
- Fat: <1 gm
- Copper: 22% of the daily value
- Phosphorous: 21% of the daily value
- Iron: 14% of the daily value
- Zinc: 11% of the daily value
- Magnesium: 18% of the daily value
Also, Indian beans are rich in Manganese, Folate, Thiamine, and other healthier minerals.
Features and Health Benefits
Quantity: 250 gm
Taste: Nutty and slightly sweet
Uses of Indian Broad Beans:
- The Indian broad beans have several benefits such as reducing blood pressure, aids in weight loss, improve heart health, prevents constipation, and boosts immunity.
- It contains congenital disabilities due to the presence of folate.
- The Indian broad beans are well known for strengthening bones due to the rich calcium content.
- The soluble fibre in the beans reduces cholesterol. So, even if you are dieting, Indian beans are a healthier choice without compromising on taste.
Indian Broad Bean or Vegan Broad Bean Recipes
If you don’t know how to prepare evergreen and spicier recipes using Indian broad beans, here’s a simple recipe for you- Indian Broad Beans Pilau. It’s best for evening dinners or any other special occasions.
- 200gm of basmati rice
- 300g of broad podded beans
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- 10g of butter
- Spring onions
- Half teaspoon of finely grounded allspice
- Two bay leaves
- Saffron threads
- one cup chopped dill.
- Boil the Indian broad beans for 2 to 3 minutes. Then, shift them into the cold water. Now, remove the skin of the beans and keep it aside in a bowl.
- It’s time to cook the rice. Rinse the rice under the water and cook it. After it’s done, take it off the stove.
- Take a frying pan or sauce, then heat the olive oil. Add onions, allspice, saffron threads, and chopped dill. Cook this mixture for a few minutes.
- Add the rice to this mixture. Pour other ingredients and butter into the sides of the pan. Mix it until all the ingredients get mixed properly.
- Cook on a low flame. Finally, add the beans and salt to the rice.
That’s it. Delicious and mouth-watering Indian broad beans recipe is ready to dump into the hungry belly.