Karela is categorized as a vegetable fruit and is packed with different minerals and vitamins. Therefore, regular consumption of karela improves health in different ways. Additionally, this vegetable fruit can be added to different Asian dishes and blended juices.
Apart from karela, this vegetable fruit is also known as Tite karela, Korola, Karle or Karavila. This vegetable is derived from the Karela plant and can be stored under a refrigerator and room temperature.
How to prepare
- Vertically cut the Indian karela and remove the seeds. Afterwards, chop into pieces and set aside.
- Add oil to a pan and fry some onions.
- Ensure the onions turn brown before adding turmeric powder.
- Wait for two minutes before adding chilli powder.
- Add the karela in the pan. Mix well and add salt.
- Stir well and cook under medium flame for roughly twenty minutes. Karela should turn brown.
- This dish is best served with chapatis.
Health Benefits of Indian Karela
There are numerous Karela health benefits that individuals experience daily. This is the reason people should regularly consume vegetable fruit. Some of the health benefits include:
- Karela has a compound that controls blood sugar levels when regularly consumed. Therefore, diabetic individuals can maintain normal blood sugar levels by regularly consuming this vegetable fruit.
- Vitamin A is one of the nutrients found in Indian Karela. This vitamin improves vision and treats different eye conditions.
- This vegetable can improve an individual’s sleeping pattern and also reduces insomnia.
- The carbohydrates level in Indian Karela supplies the body with the energy levels for normal functioning.
- This vegetable fruit has high antioxidants levels that purify the blood. Blood purification reduces the chances of contracting different ailments.
- The sufficient Vitamin K in Karela helps in blood clotting, thus reducing infections in wounds.
- The combination of vitamin C and Vitamin A in this vegetable fruit improves the health of both the skin and hair.
Karela’s Recipe Suggestions
After understanding what is karela and the associated health benefits, recipes should be next on the table. Some top recipe suggestions include:
- Garam masala powder
- Cooking oil
- Red chilli powder
- Ginger paste
- Dry mango powder
- Coriander powder
- Green chillies
- Cumin seeds
- Garlic paste
How to prepare
- Wash and chop karela, tomatoes, green chillies and onions before setting them aside.
- Afterwards, add oil and toss the cumin seeds on top of a pan—Cook under medium flame.
- Stir for a few minutes before adding green chillies and onions to the pan.
- Ensure the onions turn golden brown before adding coriander powder, red chilli powder, salt and turmeric powder.
- Allow the ingredients in the pan to cook while stirring before adding dried mango powder, garlic paste, ginger paste and tomatoes. Mix and fry for roughly five minutes.
- Add karela and salt to the pan and cover with a lid. Allow the meal to cook for ten minutes.
- Sprinkle some garam masala and serve.
Karela Sabzi is another top Karela recipe worth trying out. Above all, the recipes are straightforward.
This product is not available to be shipped internationally.