Ghee is a butter with its milk solids removed which results in high smoke point and, rich and better flavour. It has a sweet-salty caramelized flavour and creamy texture. It is commonly used in Indian cuisine but has paved its own way through the American kitchen. It has a smoke point of 450 F as compared to the 350 F of ordinary butter. In Indian cuisines, ghee can be used in lieu of either butter or oil?nothing is different, regardless of origin. Regardless of function, it can be used to replace or substitute vegetable oil or coconut oil in baked goods or used for sauteing and deep-frying. From this, Khanum Butter Ghee is a brand of ghee available in the market of United Kingdom.
It tastes just like butter but the consistency and appearance are different. It has a slightly roasted and nutty background. The flavour and taste varies too depending on the brand because different brands use different kind of milk to make it. Its consistency when at room temperature is soft while in the refrigerator cold, it is granular and firm.
It has a longer shelf life. However, it should be kept in an airtight container. It can also be kept longer at room temperatures, at cool, dry, and dark environment. When exposed to heat and liquid, ghee becomes spoiled. It turns into a brown shade with a sour smell. In the event that this happens, it should no longer be used and should rather be thrown away.
A teaspoon of ghee contains 45 calories and 3 grams of saturated fat. More so, it contains healthy doses of vitamins A, D, E and K. It is also a source of fatty acids that is believed to contain anti-inflammatory properties. Aside from these, ghee is used to soothe burns, treat rashes, and moisturize the skin.
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated cane sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup ghee, softened but not liquid
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp water or non-dairy milk, as needed
Approximately ½ cups bittersweet chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, silicone mat, or oil with a vegetable spray.
- Mix flour, salt, and baking soda, and set aside.
- Cream together the softened butter, ghee, and both sugars. Make sure the mixture is smooth and fluffy. Add in vanilla and milk or water, and mix.
- Add in the dry ingredients and fold until almost combined. Keep mixing until it resembles a cookie dough. When squeezed, the mixture should stick together and not crumble. Then, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Portion out the cookies onto the baking sheet as desired. Press the cookie down a little to flatten them if desired. Bake for 5 minutes and let it continuously bake while it cools on the pan.