Natco Red Lentils is a brand that sells red lentils, also called masoor dal, available in the marketplace of the United Kingdom. It is a popular and easy to find ingredient for meals that can be easily prepared. These vegetables are edible seeds from the legume family and are very well known for their lens shape and sold with or without their outer husks intact.
Although they are a common food staple in Asian and North African cuisines, the greatest production of this vegetable is in Canada at this present time. Fun fact, it is called lentils which means “lens” in Latin. That makes sense as the translation effectively discussed what this vegetable looks like. It has other types aside from red lentils which are split and great for making dal, with a sweet and nutty flavour.
- 1 chopped onion
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 diced carrots
- 2 chopped stalks celery
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 14.5oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 8 cups water
- ½ cup thinly sliced spinach
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper (optional)
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery.
- Cook and stir until the onion is tender.
- Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lentils and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for at least an hour.
- When ready to stir in spinach, cook until it wilts.
- Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add more vinegar if desired.
- Serve and enjoy.