The vegetable beetroot (500g), also known as the table beet, red beet, or garden beet, is a root vegetable. It has a slightly earthy flavour and is popular among many for its nutritional value and vibrant reddish-pink colour. It is often considered repulsive by kids but one can make a variety of dishes using it to make it appealing to them. Besides this, it is good for the skin, physical fitness, and cognitive health.
Features & Health Benefits:
- It contains Vitamin B9 (folate), which is particularly essential for pregnant women
- Its potassium content is beneficial for heart health
- It has high iron content that increases the amount of oxygen in red blood cells
- They help in lowering blood pressure
- They can enhance your physical performance
- It is anti-inflammatory and antioxidant and may help to prevent diseases like cancer
- Promotes a healthy liver
- They are a good source of fibre, thus making them suitable for good digestive health
- The nitrate content might assist healthier brain function
Recipes that could be made with Beetroot:
Below are the recipes that can be made by using a beetroot:
- Beetroot juice
- Beetroot salad with carrot, mushroom, and peppers
- Beetroot paratha (flatbread stuffed with grated, seasoned, and sauteed beetroot)
- Beetroot raita (a curd-based dip made with grated beetroot)
- Beetroot halwa (a sweet dish made with beetroot, milk, sugar, and dry fruits)
- Beetroot bhaji (a spicy-savoury dish that can be eaten with flatbread)
- Beetroot Tikki (vegetarian nuggets made out of boiled and seasoned beetroots)
These recipes can be tried out to provide beetroot nutrition and be made using beetroot, which one can buy from Red Rickshaw. One can also get £5 off on 1st order and avail of free delivery of the product on the expenditure of £50 or more in the UK Mainland (excluding Scottish Highlands).
Beetroot Raita Recipe:
Beetroot raita is a refreshing dip made out of curd and grated beetroot. It has a mild taste and can be eaten as a side dish with an Indian lunch or dinner or be eaten by itself as a healthy snack. Below is the recipe for making beetroot raita:
Prep Time: 10 min.
- Fresh curd (Dahi): 1 ½ cup
- Beetroot: 1 piece
- Carrot: 1 piece
- Chopped green chillies: ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Finely chopped fresh coriander (dhania): 1 tablespoon
- Roasted cumin seeds (jeera) powder: ½ teaspoon
- Salt & Red chilli powder (as per taste)
- Wash and peel the carrot and beetroot. Finely grate both of them in a bowl.
- Whisk the curd till it forms a smooth paste, add a little bit of water if required.
- Add the grated vegetables to the curd.
- Add coriander and green chillies (if needed) into the curd mixture.
- Season with roasted cumin seed powder, salt, and red chilli powder as preferred.
- Serve with hot parathas or fried rice and enjoy!