Turiya, turai, or ridge gourd (in English) is a favourite among various vegetable dishes in India. It can be described as a fine-looking vegetable with its striking dark green colour, and once you cut it open, you will see its white pulp with white seeds attached to a malleable, almost spongy flesh. The dark green skin should be peeled off, and you can slice it, cut it into small cubes, or even grate its meat according to your preference on how you want to use it on your Indian dish. We have some recipes that you can try at home to make the most of this humble and healthy vegetable. Check them below this description.
There are many health benefits that you can get from this ridged gourd. They include digestive benefits that help your metabolism and prevent constipation; it is also known for its insulin-like peptides creating an anti-diabetic effect, accompanied by low carbohydrate content. It can also help maintain the balance of your blood sugar level, so it is an excellent addition to a meal plan.
These turiya vegetables are also known to contribute to weight loss because it contains a fair amount of fibre.
Health Benefits of Turiya
Here is a complete list of the health benefits that you can get from turiya, including the ones mentioned above, with further information:
- Weight-loss – Its water content gives you the feeling of fullness, so you can go on with your day-to-day activities without worrying about a demanding appetite.
- Anti-diabetic Effects – especially for those on a strict diabetic diet, the turiya or turai vegetable is a healthy choice that you can definitely add to your meal plan.
- Rich in Vitamin C – turiya have nutrients that help rid the free radicals in your body, preventing you from developing chronic diseases.
- Promotes a healthy heart – it is a low-fat ingredient with zero cholesterol, making it your heart’s new best friend.
- Boosts your Immune System – Aside from Vitamin C, it is also rich in zinc which is good for your immunity against infections and diseases.
- Improve digestion – try having a ridge gourd drink when you feel constipated or bloated. The water content and its fibre-enriched flesh also help in aiding bowel movement issues.
Nutritional Content according to RDA Standards (for 86grams serving)
- Energy – 15 calories per cup (86g)
- Protein – 0.4 grams
- Carbohydrates – 2.9 grams
- Fat – 0.08 grams
- Fibre – 1.6 grams
- Vitamin C – 4.3 mg. or 10.8% RDA
- Vitamin A – 28.3 mcg. or 0.6% RDA
- Calcium – 15.5 mg. or 1.5% RDA
- Magnesium – 27.5 mg. or 7.8% RDA
- Phosphorus – 22.3 mg. or 3.7% RDA
- Potassium – 43 mg. or 0.9% RDA
- Zinc – 0.84 mg or 7% RDA
- Sodium – 2.5 mg.
Turiya/Turai/Ridge Gourd – Must-try Indian Dishes
- Ridge Gourd Chutney
- Ridge Gourd and Dill Soup
- Turiya and Amaranth Shaag Bhaja
- Turai Onion Vegetable
- Turiya Stir-fry
- Turai Aur Moong ki Dal
- Masale Wali Turai, Turai ki Sabzi